Walk Leader’s Check List
Note. The Leader MUST be a paid-up Ramblers Association member to be covered by their blanket indemnity insurance.
BEFORE THE WALK
Choosing & Recceing the route (preferably with back marker)
- From the map or guide book or combination
- Walk the full route, note critical navigation points, assess risks, adjust route if necessary, check timings, check rest and toilet stops.
- Contact pub if required
A FEW DAYS BEFORE
- Describe in Group e-mail following the usual format, i.e. start location and timing, length of walk and any difficulty, pub or picnic, any special points, e.g. tea after and provide your mobile telephone number.
- You MUST arrange for yourself or a deputy to be at the Crowborough car-park to organise the walkers from there.
ON THE DAY – AT THE START
- Check personal gear includes HWW First Aid kit and visibility bands.
- Appoint a backmarker
- Introduction: welcome, brief on any special walk details, confirm lunch stop, provide mobile phone number, estimate return time.
- Count party, agree number with backmarker and signal start of walk
ON THE DAY – THE WALK
- Stay at or near the front, check often you can see your backmarker
- Set a reasonable pace, watch for slower walkers
- Concentrate on navigation, check timing against plan
- Contact pub with lunch numbers
- Manage: flow of party/regrouping/ passage past gates and stiles/rest stops
- Be alert to problems: weather, road walking, individuals, junctions especially in woodland
- Enjoy the walk
AT THE END OF THE WALK
- Check everyone has returned and can get home
- Report any incidents and obstructions to HWW Group Officers
FOR THE WALKERS
Please make sure any new members are fit enough to undertake the walk, are wearing suitable footwear and clothing for the walk & have some food and drink with them. Ensure they abide by any advice and guideline issued by the walk leader.
Note that, to meet Ramblers’ safeguarding requirements, walkers under the age of 15 cannot join our walks under any circumstances. Walkers aged between 15 and 17 can only walk if they are accompanied by a “responsible adult” who is someone they already know. If in doubt, take no chances and do not allow under-18s to walk.
Most (HWW) Ramblers’ walks are off road in rural areas. Please wear suitable footwear and clothing for the walk you intend to join. Bring some food and drink, even if the walk includes a pub or café break. Leaders may refuse to accept participants who, in their opinion, are inadequately equipped or unfit.